Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

My Jeep runs!!!

Just lean back in the computer chair and chat away....
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

My Jeep runs!!!

Post by pertneer » Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 pm

After about two years of messing around with an axle swap, a motor swap and some other changes I got the old Beast running again. Stupid batteries!!!!!

:wavemulti :insertevil
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Re: My Jeep runs!!!

Post by jp_crazy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 pm

This sound like an interesting story :o

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 am

I got it running, but it still is not drivable. I should have this done by the end of the weekend (I hope). I gathered the codes off of the computer and solved all major error. Seams I forgot to hookup a couple of sensors. :what

For those of you who are not up to date on what I have done, here we go.

A couple of years ago when I was swapping in the rear axle. I left it sit over the winter with not enough antifreeze in the radiator. You guessed it, it froze and caused some damage. Although it was minor it did cause major overheating problems later. I found out that it warped the number 8 cylinder wall. Causing the added friction and the rod bearing to wear out prematurely. During the time that I was diagnosing this problem, I found a Dana 44 front axle to swap into the front of my Jeep.

I then decided to to swap out the motor for a newer version of the same thing, but with mass air instead of sequential fuel injection. Since I needed the motor out anyway so I could outboard the springs, it seamed like a great time to do this, and it was. It just turned out to be a bad time for me time wise. With going back to college full time and working 50 + hours a week.

Since the economy took a dump recently, I found more time to work on my Jeep. Still do not have the money to get what I want, but I have the time to get it at least drivable.

This brings me up to today. The Jeep starts, stays running, and only needs some minor tweaks to be drivable. I will post some of the remaining fab work that has to be done to get the computer mounted and the other items taken care of. Keep a look out for these posts. :mrgreen:
Jeeps do not break

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am

It took me all weekend, but I think I have it running good enough to drive.
I had an issue with it dying after you touched the throttle and it tried to return to idle. I checked all of the vacuum line and found nothing. I even went to the extreme and replaced them all. Still the same thing.
I ran the KOER test and it said that the MAF circuit failed. After doing a little research on the Internet I found that most every question everyone had for the owner was is the MAF housing properly grounded. I though to myself "It couldn't be that simple". SO I made a mount for my since it was hanging in mid air with not support and no grounding at all. Low and behold it doesn't die anymore. Here is a picture of the mount that I made.
MAF_mount.JPG
I also attached a picture of the entire engine from above. Notice I still have to make the wire harness look pretty. :shock:
engine.JPG
Jeeps do not break

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Post by jp_crazy » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Congrats! :jump

Looks like a lot of motor for a Jeep. Yet a lot of fun.

Got a question though, Why is the air filter all twisted around towards that back?