Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Engine Trouble

Just lean back in the computer chair and chat away....
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Engine Trouble

Post by pertneer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm

During my last trip I started to have some engine trouble. I had a really bad miss and quite a bit of smoke out the drivers side tail pipe. I got a change last week to start diagnosing the issue. I first checked for spark and checked the spark plugs on that side of the motor. They all looked good. SO I decided to run the codes on the computer (fuel injected 5.0). It said everything was fine. :roll:

A couple days later I decided to dig a little further after speaking with a couple of guys I work with. They said to check valve train and then pistons. SO I decided it would be easier to check the valve train. I was hoping it was just a valve sticking or something. The picture below is what I saw. I thought to my self this is not so bad.
IMG00185-20100720-1100.jpg
The nut loosened up, what an easy fix. Maybe I could still make the trip this weekend. SO I adjusted all of the valves on this side of the motor. Threw the intake back on and started it up. Not a bit better all. :(

So yesterday I decided to take it apart further to see what was the problem. I decided to do some more diagnosing first. Where is that compression tester? Man do I need a bigger garage so I can find stuff easier. I checked all of the cylinders. Passenger side looked acceptable. Then to test the drivers side. :shock: What a surprise. I was running a 5 cylinder. I had two totally dead cylinders and one so low it should have been dead. I knew then I had to to at least take off the head to see if the piston had a hole or what was going on. So in the garage it went. I took off the head and found nothing. Gasket good, no hole and no deep scores in cylinder wall.

So I knew than the rings were collapsed. SO out comes the motor. :( no wheeling this weekend.

I will update later after I take it apart enough to gets some more pics and share.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine Trouble

Post by pertneer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am

I got the engine out and tore apart this last weekend. It looks like the rings collapsed in the two offending cylinders. These is no scoring in the cylinders and the pistons look good (no marking on the skirts). I guess I hone the cylinders and put in some new rings. I did take it totally apart so i could get the honing done with out contaminating anything else. So I took this opportunity to pressure wash the mud and grime off of the block since it will need to get cleaned after it is honed anyway. I will then take advantage of it being clean and maybe shoot some paint on it to make it easier to clean in the future. ;)

I also will be replacing the water pump, bearings, and the timing chain, since it is apart. Everything else looks good and within spec.
I guess sometimes to much fun is hard on stuff...
Jeeps do not break

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 am

After three weeks I finally got some time to get some work done on this project. I will get a couple of photos posted of the progress.

After I Took the engine apart I started off with a very good cleaning. Took all components and clean and sand blasted them. Then clean all of the sand and painted everything (The wife still does not like the color). With the heads and block bare I took and pressure washed everything to get off all of the old mud and oil from oil leaks. I started with removing some of the rough sand marks left in the casting of the block. This proved to be a fruitless act. There are than a hundred hours that would go into a process such as this, so I just took off most of what I could get to and painted it with Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic, in a Ford Dark Blue color number: DE1606 - Ford Dark Blue ( the color in question by the wife). This paint is high heat paint and should last for a good long time, as well as make the clean up process a lot easier after a day in the mud. Then I honed the cylinders and put in some new rings and reinstalled the pistons after i cleaned it once again. Then on went the timing chain and the timing cover. This is what you would have seen at that time.
IMG00216-20100824-1107.jpg
The I installed the new water pump (old one was looking like it was starting to leak). As you can see in this picture I have a color scheme that I am trying to achieve.
IMG00217-20100824-1125.jpg
Then on to the heads and finally the lower intake and valve train.
IMG00218-20100824-1242.jpg
With the engine on the stand I added the headers and the motor mount, which were sand blasted and powder coated and the headers were painted with a 1200 degree high heat paint by Duplicolor.
IMG00219-20100824-1422.jpg
I will add more as I get more completed.
Jeeps do not break

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am

I have more pictures just not on this computer yet. I got it all back in and when I went to take it for a trip across town I almost did not make it back home. Someone forgot to wash out the upper intake :roll: Well we all know what sand will do to a motor now...
Jeeps do not break

Jeep-Fab.com : Disclaimer