Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Front Bumper

Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Front Bumper

Post by pertneer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:56 pm

I started on my front bumper today. I have been searching the internet for an example of what I want to do, but I cannot seem to find exactly what I want to do. I started out with drilling holes in the front cross member on the Jeep. I welded a piece of angle to the front a long time ago, because it was all messed up on the ends of the frame. I usually start with a smaller hole before I drill the bigger holes so that I do not have as much trouble with drilling with a hand drill.
P1010099_sm.jpg
After I get the holes in the frame I then clamped the bumper to the frame in the location that it will be and transfer the hole locations to the bumper. For this I am going to put in four holes, because it will have to hold a lot of load when I end up on the stinger. I just use a marker to transfer the hole location.
P1010100_sm.jpg
I then used a hole saw to put in holes big enough to weld nuts into the bumper. After I got the holes in I then held a nut threaded onto a bolt to hold it in location.
P1010101_sm.jpg
Once they are tacked into place I placed it back on the front of the Jeep to make sure the locations were correct.

After welding I ground it smooth to make sure that it sits flat against the frame. Then I ran a tap through the hole to make sure that there was no weld splatter in the threads.
P1010105_sm.jpg
This is all that I have done so far and need to get the material for the stinger before I can proceed.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Front Bumper

Post by pertneer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:26 pm

I got my new d-ring mounts made yesterday and have them temporarily attached for a picture.

In the first picture you will see the angle that was previously added to the frame that I bolted the bumper too.
front_bumper3_sm.jpg
The next two are just an overall shot and a second at a different angle.
front_bumper2_sm.jpg
front_bumper_sm.jpg
Now I need to get the stinger made and tied into the fenders. :mrgreen:
Jeeps do not break

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Post by jp_crazy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:46 am

Looks good so far. What are you going to do for a stinger? You got me interested.

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 pm

I made a little something for the bumper tonight, but I will not let the cat out of the bag until I can get some pictures of it first.

I will give you a hint...
Jeeps do not break

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Ok o iut looks a little big for a Jeep, but a smaller looks just fine.
I m getting ready to send it to get powder coated on Tuesday, so I need to get it finished. I have since decided not to put stinger until later. (I really only have needed once in 8 years)
Here re some shots so far.
roll2.JPG
roll3.JPG
roll4.JPG
roll5.JPG
roll6.JPG
roll7.JPG
All the material was recycled from stuff that I had laying round. If you notice the mounts for the roller are the old d-ring mounts from my previous front bumper. :)

I still need to make the ends of the bumper a little prettier and then take them to work to sand blast off the surface rust.

When I first start blending the ends in I Start by roughing the high spots out with my angle grinder until they look like this.
ends.JPG
Then I run a flap wheel on a die grinder until they look smooth.
ends2.JPG
Jeeps do not break

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Post by jp_crazy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

So just what is this roll supposed to do for you? Won't it just get in the way? Don't get me wrong it looks nice and may be functional, but I still would need to see proof before I put one on my rig.

Oh ya, Why are you not putting on the stinger?

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm

jp_crazy wrote:So just what is this roll supposed to do for you? Won't it just get in the way? Don't get me wrong it looks nice and may be functional, but I still would need to see proof before I put one on my rig.

Oh ya, Why are you not putting on the stinger?
I am hoping it will keep my front bumper from getting embedded into the side of a steep ditch.

The stinger is on hold until I get some more money for a new Die for the bender. :mrgreen:

Here are the pictures after it was powder coated.
f_bumper.JPG
f_bumper (2).JPG
The d-ring mounts did not get back until late this evening, so they will get put on in the morning.
Jeeps do not break