Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Handle bar Fabrication

Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Handle bar Fabrication

Post by pertneer » Fri May 01, 2009 11:23 am

I have a project that I have been working for a couple of weeks now. I was a approached by a coworker about bending some handle bars for vintage motor cycles. Turns out that their is no museum quality reproduction bars made. So I decided to take on the challenge.

I acquired a .875 die from JD2 for my model 3 bender. I also needed some fixtures to make the repeated bends accurate. I came up with a solution that is yet to be tested. Here is a shot of the first fixture that is used to keep the second bend in the same plane at at the correct distance to start the second bend. I am hoping that this will allow me to just insert the tube and bend without having to make a bunch of measurements for each of the bars. This could be an ongoing project if I am successful so repeatability is a must. I will be able to test this on tube the first part of next week, since all I have so far is an old set of bars.
bend1.JPG
I machined the side of the die to accept a plate that is located by dowel pins and secured by two bolts. So that I can remove each fixture to use the other two for other bends. I will try to get some more shot of the fixtures as they get made and used.

I will have updates as the project progresses.

I know this is not Jeep related but should be able to use the practices for Jeep related items. This should give people an idea of how to use fixtures to repeat bends on duplicated items.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Handle bar Fabrication

Post by pertneer » Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 am

I got some more pictures of what I have done so far.

The first one is the bars that I am making:
bars.JPG
This is a picture of the plates that mount to the die:
fixture_plate.JPG
fixture_plate2.JPG
These two are of the fixture for the first bend off oft he die:
fixture_bend1.JPG
fixture_bend2.JPG
An last but not least the die itself:
Notice that there is two dowel pins at apposing corners to locate the fixture when placed on the die.
die_holes.JPG
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

CNC_fab
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Re: Handle bar Fabrication

Post by CNC_fab » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:27 am

This is a cool idea for those of us who have the capability of doing machine work.
Are you planning to mass produce these or what?

Keep the ideas coming.