Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Drive shaft repair

Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Drive shaft repair

Post by pertneer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:35 pm

during my last trip i had a little issue with some rocks. I bend my skid plate, muffler, and drive shaft. The skid and muffler are no big deal, but the drive shaft is a real issue. I had to replace the pinion seal on the rear end that got tore up when the drive shaft got bent.

Now I need to address the real issue. The shaft was bend in two places and has about a 5 degree bend in the middle of it. I will be cutting out the tube that is bent and replacing it with a new one. I have a couple of pic of the bent shaft and will get them posted later. Along with a couple of the repair and the procedure that I use top get it replaced. This is a trail only Jeep so I do not bother with getting it balanced. If it were for the street i would take the time to get it done correctly.

More will be posted later this week of this repair so I have time to get pictures and take notes for the write up I will do for repairing a drive shaft for the trail.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Re: Drive shaft repair

Post by pertneer » Sun May 02, 2010 11:17 pm

The drive shaft was fairly bent:
IMG00130-20100425-1541.jpg
IMG00131-20100425-1541.jpg
I started by cutting the weld where the tube is attached to the end with the yoke. After I got through the weld I hit it with a hammer to drive the end out of the tube.
IMG00133-20100426-1102.jpg
Then i cut the other end of the tube at the weld at the extension portion of the shaft (splines). This released the bent tube from the remaining portion the the drive shaft. I then cut the new tube to length and pressed the ends into the tube. Make sure to line up the yokes and keeping the shaft straight inline to keep it as straight as possible. The closer to being straight the longer the u-joints will last. Since I am not driving this on the road I am not concerned with having it balanced. For a daily driver this is a must. As well as keeping it as straight as you can. If you are not confident with your ability to do this, leave it to a drive shaft shop.

Now that it is pressed together I proceeded to weld it back together.
IMG00134-20100427-1036.jpg
Now i just need to get the rear repaired so i can go on my next trip.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!