Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

bead locks

Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum
CNC_fab
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

bead locks

Post by CNC_fab » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Anyone have a good link for making your own bead locks?

I am curious about bolt circles and id and od sizes.

Thanks in advance

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bead locks

Post by pertneer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 am

This depends a lot on how you are going to make them. If you build them to leave the original beads then you just need to make the o.d. just small enough to fit inside the outer lip of the rim. If you cut the original bead off, it get a little more involved.

The bolt circle should be as close to the inner edge of the tire when it is mounted, leaving enough room for the bolt to be inserted. This is I.D. of tire - one bolt diameter. This will give you bolt circle. Remember to leave enough room for the bolts to clear the rim on the inside with out being to far away as to let it bend the ring instead of clamping on the tire.

Generally the use of a 3/8 bolt is considered to be minimum with at least 32 bolts per wheel on a 15 inch rim. The steel should be at least 1/4 inch thick.

The I.D. of the inner ring of the bead lock just needs to be able to have the bolt holes. The outer can be the same size or you can make it smaller to protect your valve stem. I have seen some small enough to just allow the removal of the lug nuts.

Here are a couple of pics that I found regarding this:
Inner_ring.jpg
outer_ring.jpg
Good luck with you project.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

CNC_fab
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Post by CNC_fab » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Cool. nice set of information.

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm

I used this information as a starting point. I have noticed that the outer diameter of the inner ring can vary quite a bit. When I measured for mine I came up with 16.25 on the set of rims that the tires were on. I used a different set of rims for the beadlocks. These had a measurement of 16.062. This is quite a variation in size. So the moral of the story is: double check your rims for correct measurement.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

Jeep-Fab.com : Disclaimer