Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Coping Tid Bits

Learning the basics
FrogDog
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Coping Tid Bits

Post by FrogDog » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Coping Tid Bits By Hand (FrogDog Style)

I’ve tried a few types of notchers like the JD2-TN100 and a hand press notcher. Although in a lot of my work find them not accommodating friendly in cases such as in this YJ cage mod shown. I typically use Chop saw (abrasive or dry) and zippy cut angle grinder depending on angles… A vertical band saw would be my next best option but don’t have one ..
________

I hand draw the copes in a XYZ pattern. (Front is +X, back is -X, left is +Y, right is -Y, ceiling is +Z and floor is -Z.). The pix of the jeep roll cage, (FrogDog design) was done with this method. I do have bend-tech SE and used it for making my template bends. Because it was a custom piece-by-piece cage mod, I didn’t bother with a complete design. But this is not about bending…. The example pix show’s what I mean….
Notch-xyz01.jpg
I mark everything including the tube(s) being coped to.. I use a jiffy usually 'red' or 'black' on ERW tube.. anything that sticks good.. do not use soapstone..
Here's an example I hope may help someone:
Notch-01.jpg
Placing the tube on top at what ever angle needed.. On the jeep I would clamp, tape or support some how, even a quick tack at times.. Then mark it out as described...(usually both ends at same time)
Notch-02.jpg
Place your tube in the saw or vice if using a zippy, support the other end with stand.. Line up saw with line and cut.. (As a rule I always leave the line showing when cutting.) If your angle is to far away to cut the other side angle and you have to rotate the tube to notch other side, line up the blade to cut at the heal mark…
Notch-03.jpg
The fit coped tube just after cut...
Notch-04.jpg
The fit coped tube just after a wee bit of trimming with a flap disc (I always at least take and round points off)...
In closing, This is just a personal quick demo in basic coping, drawing by hand, There is always tricks of the trade with certain ways to fit but should give you a good start.. I've done it this way many times but it's always practice... Enjoy

Cheers............:mrgreen:.. Please ask if anything your not sure of...
Dog
If the women don't find you hansom, they should find you handy...

FrogDog FabWorx

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Re: Coping Tid Bits

Post by jp_crazy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm

How do you decide what the angle of the cut for the part that goes over the other tube are supposed to be? Is there a formula or just split the difference between the included angle of teh two tubes?

FrogDog
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Re: Coping Tid Bits

Post by FrogDog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:18 am

jp_crazy wrote:How do you decide what the angle of the cut for the part that goes over the other tube are supposed to be? Is there a formula or just split the difference between the included angle of teh two tubes?
Thanks for your reply.. I will try to explain a different way ….

There is no decision needed other than where you want your piece. There is no reason to know what angle. ‘The angle ends up being where you put it, want it, or need it’. There are formulas but by the time I tried figuring them out, I had a few pieces cut… This is all about doing by hand without major tools ect: but simple techniques that can accomplish the same end result….

Here is another quick example with my stinger instead of worktable… say I want to put this tube in this position in stinger.
NotchStinger01.jpg
I’ve just placed a tube with a couple of magnets and tape where I want to fit/notch in place…Note: because I took pic dead on mid stinger, my red lines look off. (Another point of view with photo shop)
NotchStinger02.jpg
Here I tried to draw in photo shop reproducing what was in my first example photo…
If you take some scrap round to practice a few lines and cuts, you will, I believe find some sense to this concept and grow from there….I will add this, If you have a tube that joins at a 90 (which can be a few even with a bend in it) the cut angle will be 29 degrees providing your using equal size tube….There will always be odd and awkward fit positions, sometimes I have to notch one end, fit it and draw and cut other end... all depend on how intricate your project is…..

Here is a little tool I used to use.. I know you asked about angles. This may help....... :mrgreen:

Check this out.............Sawing Notch in Pipe

Cheers Bro, Hope this helps............. :mrgreen:
Dog
If the women don't find you hansom, they should find you handy...

FrogDog FabWorx

Jeep-Fab.com : Disclaimer